TAC offers several unique resources on connected and automated vehicles (CAVs) in Canada. Some were created with help from members of our Connected and Automated Vehicles Task Force. Please email us with any comments or suggestions.
Connected and Automated Vehicles: A Primer for Canadian Municipalities
This primer provides a high-level overview of CAVs, dispelling myths and providing essential information to help municipal stakeholders make informed decisions on planning for a future with CAVs.
Read the Primer (PDF)
Discussion Paper on Connected and Automated Vehicles
This 2019 report by IBI Group describes the Canadian CAV ecosystem, identifies TAC’s role in it, and suggests key technical issues to be addressed by TAC’s councils and committees.
TAC gratefully acknowledges Transport Canada’s financial support of this project.
Read the Discussion Paper (PDF)
Inventory of CAV Initiatives in Canada
This inventory includes almost 100 Canadian CAV-related initiatives involving governments, businesses, academic institutions and non-profit organizations. It is a downloadable file (Microsoft Excel format) with entries that can be searched, sorted and filtered. Please contact us with any questions or suggestions for improvement.
The inventory was initially developed by the Federal-Provincial-Territorial Coordinating Council on Automated and Connected Vehicles, to help monitor progress related to the Automated and Connected Vehicles Policy Framework for Canada.
View the Inventory (XLS)
This lexicon will help non-specialists (planners, traffic engineers, road designers, etc.) to understand and use more than 60 common CAV technical terms.
View the Lexicon (PDF)
CAV Resources for Canadian Practitioners
- Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators, Canadian Jurisdictional Guidelines for the Safe Testing and Deployment of Highly Automated Vehicles (2018)
- CSA Group, Connected and Automated Vehicle Technologies - Insights for codes and standards in Canada (2020)
- Council of Canadian Academies (CCA), Choosing Canada’s Automotive Future: The Expert Panel on Connected and Autonomous Vehicles and Shared Mobility
- Council of Ministers Responsible for Transportation and Highway Safety, Automated and Connected Vehicles Policy Framework for Canada (2019)
- Council of Ministers Responsible for Transportation and Highway Safety, The Future of Automated Vehicles in Canada (2018)
- Government of Ontario, Ontario Regulation 306/15: Pilot Project - Automated Vehicles (2015)
- Standing Senate Committee on Transport and Communications, Driving Change: Technology and the Future of the Automated Vehicle (2018)
- Transport Canada, Canada’s Safety Framework for Automated and Connected Vehicles (2019)
- Transport Canada, Safety Assessment for Automated Driving Systems in Canada (2019)
- Transport Canada, Testing Highly Automated Vehicles in Canada: Guidelines for Trial Organizations (2018)
Online Information Hubs (Canada)
Online Information Hubs (International)