Wednesday, February 6, 2019
Read updates about people working in the transportation and road-related industries.
- It is with respect that TAC wishes to inform its members of the passing of TAC Environment Council Member, Patrick James Thomas Shea on Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at the age of 42 years. Patrick made significant contributions to TAC, Shea's strong leadership and collaborative problem-solving resulted in positive impacts in the transportation community. Donations may be made to the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. To leave a message of condolence please visit www.barretts.ca.
- Construction Management and Supervision Services | The top honour for this category went to WSP Canada Inc. for its work on the Roche Cove Bridge Replacement project near Sooke. Overcoming numerous challenges, including working on a previously known archeological site, the company demonstrated innovation and careful planning to deliver a new two-lane bridge. (Read full article)
- Design and Contract Preparation – Roads | SNC-Lavalin Inc. is this year’s Deputy Minister Award winner for its work on the six-laning project from Highway 33 to Edwards Road in Kelowna. The project involved great complexity, innovation and detail as work was completed to widen 4.5 kilometres of road from four lanes to six. Despite the natural geographical challenges and compressed schedule, the team at SNC-Lavalin maintained a high level of service to help deliver a quality project. (Read full article)
- Design and Contract Preparation – Structures | Associated Engineering received this award for its work in retrofitting and seismically upgrading the Alexandra Bridge in Spuzzum. The bridge, built in the early 1960s, carries the Trans-Canada Highway over the Fraser River. The project reshaped the bridge's approach spans and made significant structural modifications to bring the bridge up to modern engineering code. (Read full article)
- Bramwell Strain has been appointed City Manager, City of Lethbridge. Strain comes to Lethbridge from Winnipeg, where since 2016 he has served as a Deputy Minister in the Manitoba government.
- Tareq Al-Zabet accepted a new role as Deputy Minister of Infrastructure in the Manitoba government, effective January 14, 2019.
- It is with great sadness that we learnt of John Hammer’s passing this summer. John had a successful career with the Region of Waterloo and had recently retired. John also made significant contributions towards TAC’s staple Publication, the Geometric Design Guide for Canadian Roads.
- Brad Anguish has been appointed new Director of Transportation and Public Works at the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM). He replaces Bruce Zvaniga who left HRM this fall.
- Bruce Zvaniga has moved back to Ontario and has been named Commissioner of Public Works and Engineering at the City of Brampton.
- The Honourable Jeff Yurek, MPP for Elgin-Middlesex-London, has been appointed Minister of Transportation, replacing the Honourable John Yakabuski.
- The Honourable Bill Oliver, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure, replaces Denis Landry as the new Minister in New Brunswick.
- Barry Day has retired from his role as Deputy Minister at Alberta Transportation. Barry brought decades of experience and has a proven record of developing leaders and championing collaboration and partnerships.
- Wanda Richardson has recently retired as Vice President of Canadian Federal Services at AECOM.
- Technical excellence and skilful innovation were honoured at the 2019 Deputy Minister’s Consulting Engineers Awards. TAC is pleased to highlight some of our members who were recipients of the Awards. (Read full Article)
- Associated Engineering received the Design and Contract Preparation – Structures Award for its work in retrofitting and seismically upgrading the Alexandra Bridge in Spuzzum.
- SNC-Lavalin Inc. was the recipient of the Design and Contract Preparation – Roads Award for its work on the six-laning project from Highway 33 to Edward Road in Kelowna.
- WSP Canada Inc. was honored with the Construction Management and Supervision Services Award for its work on the Roche Cove Bridge Replacement near Sooke.