Last month, TAC volunteers were busy with another edition of our Spring Technical Meetings. Throughout April, over 30 council and committee meetings were convened online. Hundreds of transportation professionals came together, discussed the issues that are important to them, and advanced collaborative projects. Thanks to all who participated – your collective perspectives are essential to TAC’s work and determining the priorities we tackle.
If you weren’t able to attend the meetings, stay tuned to TAC’s media. We’ll share some highlights in the coming weeks.
The TAC Board of Directors also met in April. With President Sarah Thiele holding the gavel, several important matters were addressed.
- Catherine Harwood (Yukon Highways and Public Works), Frédéric Pellerin (Ministère des Transports et de la Mobilité durable du Québec) and Bryce Stewart (Alberta Transportation and Economic Corridors) were appointed as Directors, becoming part of the leadership team that provides strategic direction for TAC.
- Activities and financial results of the last year were presented. TAC’s Year in Review, to be published this summer, will summarize those results, and highlight the work accomplished by the Association’s volunteers and staff in 2022/23.
- Representatives of TAC’s Transportation Finance Committee were invited to present about its recent report, The Importance of Transportation Funding: Framing the Issues. Board members appreciated the update and encouraged the Committee to continue studying funding needs and sources in Canada.
- Recipients of TAC’s 2023 Distinguished Service and Young Transportation Professional Awards were named. Announcements of these and TAC’s other prestigious awards will be coming soon.
- Finally, a work plan and budget for 2023/24 were approved. The budget breaks even with just a 3.5% increase in membership fees. Work plan activities will deliver the TAC products and services members expect, along with some newer initiatives to improve how we engage with stakeholders.
Seeing the TAC community at work is always inspiring. Staff are energized and excited about what’s ahead; we are committed to supporting members and hope you continue to find value in your Association. To help us know how we’re doing, we’ll conduct a member survey in the coming months. We look forward to hearing what you tell us!
Sarah Wells, P.Eng., Ph.D.