Salary and benefits
$74,224.23 - $92,780.29
City of Guelph
- Define, create and implement a Community Road Safety Strategy for the City of Guelph.
- Manage the analysis, assessment and development of applicable traffic regulations and traffic engineering operational plans in compliance with Provincial regulations and City standards.
- Create, implement and manage a multi-modal transportation safety program to improve safety of all road users.
- Improve and expand the Sustainable Transportation data collection program to integrate it with existing data collection efforts and to leverage emerging technology.
- Investigate and prepare recommendations for all transportation and traffic safety related issues.
- Propose and implement safety measures, regulations and develop new collision and injury prevention programs.
- Prepare projects and proposals to increase public safety and ensure efficient movement of people and goods.
- Provide technical data to support transportation management and road safety design and policy decisions.
- Review traffic collisions and incidents to initiate corrective and preventive actions; recommend policy changes, including specific policies focused on risk exposure of frontline staff and external contractors to reduce collisions and limit liability exposure.
- Prepare reports and make presentations for public meetings and City Council.
- Manage the development and distribution of public information related to traffic flow.
- Analyze traffic data to identify patterns and trends to recommend transportation network improvements.
- Respond to public and stakeholder inquiries in a timely and sensitive manner.
- Other related duties as required.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through post-secondary education in Analytics, Policy Planning, Transportation, Civil Engineering or Transportation Engineering or a related discipline and experience implementing transportation safety programs. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Good problem solving, planning, project management, analytical and research skills.
- Excellent organizational skills to deliver projects as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for working with and providing support to staff, colleagues, clients, and management to ensure that all program and project requirements are addressed.
- Excellent communication skills to program and standards documents.
- Experience with computerized Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Transportation Engineering Software (TES), Microsoft Office and database application development.
- Understanding of vision zero, complete streets, and sustainable mobility principles.
- Knowledge of project management principles/practices.
- Periodic travel to various locations across the city is a requirement of this position.
- Must possess a valid ‘G’ drivers’ licence, access to a reliable vehicle and have a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday June 30, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for applications