In 2017, Urban Systems established our professional practice in Winnipeg in the heart of the Exchange District and we are now looking for an experienced intermediate to senior Transportation Consultant (planner or engineer) to join our team. Transportation is an integral part of our professional practice here at Urban Systems and while we don’t aspire to be the biggest, we want to be the best at addressing a range of community-based transportation challenges for all modes. The primary focus of this position will be leading projects and developing and serving clients throughout Manitoba and Ontario, as well as supporting our transportation practice elsewhere across Canada. We have considerable experience in all aspects of transportation including active transportation, school travel planning, urban roads, goods movement, transit, parking, as well as integrated master transportation plans. We have extensive in-house capabilities to take transportation projects through the various planning, design and implementation phases.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to lead and support a variety of projects. The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
· Building and developing client relationships across Manitoba and Ontario
· Working directly with clients and on projects within a larger Urban Systems team
· Leading the Winnipeg transportation team and providing mentorship and support to junior engineers and planners
· Leading and directing technical analysis for a range of transportation planning and design projects
· Preparing and delivering reports, technical memoranda and presentations for a range of technical and non-technical audiences
· Providing support to senior project leaders and acting as a technical lead
· Providing mentorship and guidance to junior engineers and planners
· Building on our relationships with local, regional and provincial government agencies to make them and their stakeholders successful
· Preparing and managing work plans, schedules and budgets.
Given the variety of project needs, we will consider candidates with a range of experience, education, and backgrounds. Typical qualifications would include an undergraduate or graduate degree in Civil Engineering or Urban Planning (with emphasis on Transportation Engineering, Planning, or Policy). The right candidate for this opportunity will also have a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience (preferably at least 10 years) and a proven history of working alongside communities, keeping service and client needs at the forefront. The right candidate will also have demonstrated experience working in a consulting environment, and has experience working locally within the Winnipeg market.
In addition, the following attributes, skills, and experience are considered a great benefit to this role:
· Excellent problem-solving skills on complex transportation assignments that involve technical and non-technical matters
· Experience with planning and preliminary/functional design of active transportation and urban roadways
· Proven project leadership skills with interdisciplinary teams
· Ability to think strategically about the services that we can offer any type or size of community
· Self-starter and motivator who is interested in continuing to develop our external service offerings with existing and new clients
· An aptitude for problem solving, researching and analyzing information, and clearly communicating the results in verbal or written format
· Ability to thrive in a self-directed work environment. You take initiative and continually deliver consistent, high quality work
· Passionate about working closely with communities and local governments to provide innovative and ‘out of the box’ solutions that fit the client’s needs
· Thrive in a team environment, and can be an integrator between disciplines and enjoys being involved with several projects at any given time
· Committed to ongoing personal, professional and practice development, while also being able to coach and mentor less experienced team members in an encouraging and supportive manner.
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please visit our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: January 23, 2019