WSP is currently seeking a Senior Traction Power Engineer/Specialist to join our Rail Systems Engineering team in Edmonton or Calgary, AB, or Vancouver, BC. Reporting to the Manager of Rail Systems Engineering, West, this position will be responsible for preparing, reviewing, and modifying drawings, specifications, calculations, charts and graphs; and monitor work related to the traction power system. The Senior Traction Power Engineer will work collaboratively with a team of Chief Engineers and Specialists across rail systems disciplines (Systems Engineering, Signals, Electrification Systems, Data Communications, and Project Controls), Project Managers, Systems Engineers, Signals Engineers, Analysts, and Coordinators. As a senior member of the Rail Systems Engineering team, you will be given opportunities to use your transferable skills to define processes, create execution plans, mentor the junior team members, and be the technical lead for multiple projects. You will be supported by management to develop work plans and professional skills to become a strong leader in the consulting environment.
- Managing and coordinating capital projects related to the traction power system;
- Design, Construction and Commissioning of AC and DC Traction Power Systems within the Transit System environment take into account system safety, reliability and efficiency;
- Implementing testing, commissioning and cut-over programs for brown field project, modifying existing systems ensuring they operate safely;
- Developing and managing the preventative maintenance programs for the traction power equipment and systems, which includes setting and monitoring performance targets, updating the program to meet changing and new standards as well as internal scheduling requirements;
- Developing and managing construction and professional service contracts with consultants and other service contractors;
- Delivering electrification engineering (design and consultancy) specifications;
- Designing, programming and commissioning of Traction Power PLC/RTU controlled systems;
- Provide technical support for procurement, construction and testing and commissioning;
- Interface with Designers and Engineers from other disciplines;
- Managing electrification engineering input to multi-disciplinary railway engineering (design and consultancy) projects;
- Developing cost estimates, design programs, work scopes, resource plans & schedules, reports and forecasts;
- Strong leadership & direction of allocated resource & tasks;
- Mentoring, developing, and training of junior staff;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- An Engineering degree in a relevant discipline from an accredited University;
- Minimum of ten (10) years continuous experience in electrification detailed design, construction & project management and design consultancy;
- Membership, or eligible for membership, as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Alberta and/or British Columbia;
- Previous experience in Rail & Transit projects is a must;
- Knowledge of medium to high voltage electrical design;
- Knowledge of load flow analysis;
- Good leadership and organization skills, a self-starter;
- Training and experience in project management would be considered an asset;
- Strong technical report and specification writing abilities are a requirement;
- Critical attention to specification details and project deadlines;
- Ability to adapt well to changes in direction and priorities in a project or program;
- Ability to meet deadlines in a project-oriented environment;
- Ability to work successfully in multi-disciplinary teams and across different business units in a matrix organization with little to no supervision;
- Excellent soft skills individual including communication, interpersonal, presentation, leadership and report writing proficiency with a strong desire and ability to collaborate in problem solving in an integrated team environment.
How to Apply
Please apply to:
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.
Deadline for applications