Reporting to the Associate Director, Transportation Planning, the Manager, will assume professional engineering responsibilities for a full spectrum of transportation initiatives, including, but not limited to: Environmental Assessments (EAs), Regional, Area and site specific transportation studies and assessments, active transportation planning, preliminary design, scheduling, reporting and cost estimates of various transportation projects (e.g. development applications, traffic impact studies, travel demand management and multi-modal transportation initiatives). This role also leads and/or participates in the implementation of relevant projects, such as complete streets, vision zero, shared mobility and way findings.
- Post-secondary degree in Civil Engineering or Transportation Planning.
- Master’s degree in Transportation Planning is preferred.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience and qualifications may be considered.
- 10 years of progressive experience directly related to transportation planning, systems and engineering in a public or private sector environment.
- Strong Project Management/Leadership skills with experience participating as a key person within the management team, in a growing and diverse transportation planning practice.
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng) with the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) or Certified as a Registered Professional Planner with either the Canadian Institute of Planners or Ontario Professional Planners Institute.
- Knowledge of transportation planning related software and methods (e.g. Synchro, VISSIM, EMME, CAD, Autoturn).
- Knowledge and practice of the Planning Act, Municipal Class Environmental Assessment Process, Development Review Processes, Provincial Policies and Legislation related to land use planning, transportation planning, as well as current regulations and evolving policy trends in jurisdictions of Ontario.
- Effective consulting, conflict resolution and negotiating skills when dealing with the community, developers, consultants, other Regional Divisions, and public and private agencies.
- Ability to prioritize and complete large scale project assignments and initiatives working both independently and as a part of a team.
- Demonstrated skills relating to critical judgment and analytical thinking for managing complex projects (e.g. Transportation impact assessments, master plans, corridor and area land use studies, environmental assessments, mobility improvement studies, street design, and policy development).
- Ability to combine “big picture” thinking with a solid understanding of technical details.
- Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Politically astute with the ability to manage and resolve issues involving multiple interests.
1. Manages the development of Niagara Region’s Transportation Planning Studies, assisting area municipalities by leading to completion complex environmental assessments. Ensures Regional interests related to developing front-facing Regional roads are maintained. Leads Active Transportation and Complete Streets initiatives, set out in the Region’s Transportation Master Plan. (50% of time)
- Develops and implements transportation planning programs and studies.
- Reviews, develops and maintains Regional transportation policies and procedures for the safe and efficient use of the region’s multi model transportation system.
- Develops and implements transportation planning strategies; prepares for and facilitates public and stakeholder consultation.
- Consults with key stakeholders to coordinate the development of transportation policies and programs and the planning and implementation of projects, ensuring conformity with provincial, regional and/or area municipal plans.
- Coordinate the scheduling and completion of Municipal Class Environmental Assessments (EAs) as required for various transportation infrastructure related improvements.
- Coordinate the activities of all agencies involved in various transportation studies or programs.
- Prepares Terms of Reference for retention of consultants for transportation and traffic studies, leads the evaluation and award and administers projects in accordance with the terms of reference.
- Reviews development proposals and provides advice on/in partial requirements.
- Initiates, organizes and directs transportation planning studies required to identify road needs for inclusion in annual Capital Works program.
- Prepares reports and presentations to various stakeholder groups, technical and management committees, public organizations, etc.
- Ensures all activities are compliant with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Provides oversight of billings and payments to the Service Providers.
- Monitors projects and the progress of consultant’s studies, including day to day coordination and liaison with consultants to ensure studies are completed on time and within budget. Prepares regular status reports.
- Conducts transportation planning studies and reviews development applications, develops recommendations, and drafts reports for Committees and Council, studies would include: Master Plans, Environmental Assessments, Avenue/Corridor Studies, New business strategy etc.
- Reviews, participates and approves Regional and Area Municipalities’ Traffic Neighbourhood Studies.
- Reviews and comments on transportation planning related policies and legislative changes.
- Provides technical support for various transportation infrastructure components of the Capital and Operational Budget.
2. Develops, manages, and administers annual and multi-year Capital and Operating budgets for the operating unit ensuring support of Council’s objectives, financial transparency and accountability, monitoring budget adherence, identifying and explaining variances, and financial reporting is effectively managed in compliance with corporate financial policies. Ensure goods and services are acquired in accordance with the procurement policy. Authorize, and administer the acquisition of goods and services for the operating unit and direct reports in accordance with the procurement policy and procedures. (15% of time)
3.Manages people resource planning for the division or operating unit, determining ideal organizational structures, identifying desirable role and skill mix requirements and ensuring ongoing work quality and deliverability of results. (15% of time)
- Enables results with the organization’s human capital strategy to foster employee engagement.
- Directs and provides leadership for the activities and coaching of direct reports, providing work direction, setting priorities, assigning tasks/projects, determining methods and procedures to be used, resolving problems, ensuring results are achieved, and managing staff recruitment, performance, and skill development activities.
- Ensures alignment and coordination of activity and quality of output between teams under their direction.
- Ensures focus is service excellence, communication/transparency, innovation, and data integrity and work flow integration.
- Ensures staff has the information and resources to make successful plans and decisions.
- Ensures all people related issues, including recruitment, grievances and labour relations issues, are aligned to HR and Corporate standards and practices.
- Helps to break down barriers to employee success, ensuring collaboration and cooperation with other teams within their division and department.
- Ensures Occupational Health & Safety policies, programs and practices are implemented, and maintained. This includes workplace inspections, monitoring, accident reporting and investigations, and ensuring any observed hazards or lapses in the functioning of OH&S processes, and other OH&S concerns are responded to promptly.
- Ensures all individuals under supervision have been informed of hazards and instructed on the necessary risk control and emergency response measures.
4.Provides analytical and research support. (10% of time)
- Supervises the preparation of travel demand forecasting computer models and traffic forecasts for road design and road need studies.
- Researches transportation planning matters, preparing reports to Transportation Steering Committee, Public Works Committee and Regional Council, attending meetings and providing explanations as required.
- Leads the preparation and approvals of Grants and proposed investment from the Province or the Federal government in municipal infrastructures to keep families safe and support jobs and growth in local communities.
5.Manages relationships with internal and external stakeholders. (10% of time)
- Represents Niagara on Local, Regional, Provincial, National and International Committees.
- Liaises with consultants, stakeholders, and interested parties, to schedule transportation related presentations for various Committees and Council.
- Organizes and attends public information meetings.
- Attends area municipal Council/Committee meetings and other public meetings as required.
- Prepares background information for Ontario Municipal Board hearings.
6.Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned or required.
- Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, community events or meetings as authorized by the Corporation for business reasons.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
How to Apply
To view the full job description and requirements, visit our Careers page - Job Opening #26088
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges…..today!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application no later than July 24, 2020 before midnight by visiting our ‘Careers’ page at www.niagararegion.ca. We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for applications