Salary and benefits
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2019
City of Vancouver
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proudto be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position reports to the Electrical Design Team Section Head in Traffic Electrical Operations and Design Branch and works under the direct supervision of a team of professional engineers. As the EIT, this position supports the electrical infrastructure development projects and the City’s development of sustainable, accessible and efficient transportation systems. EIT will work closely with Electrical designers, drafters and engineering assistants.
As part of Traffic Electrical Operations and Design Branch, this position will have the opportunity to review design work for major developments in the City, significant City-initiated capital projects and contribute to the development of public realm plans.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs Electrical designs of power distribution, control, communication and lighting systems
- Complies with the City’s Quality Management System, including Organizational Quality Management (OQM) procedures
- Provides technical review/research/audits/field reviews and advice for internal and external stakeholders
- Implements innovative design solutions to respond to resident requests
- Reviews development related electrical engineering design packages, including coordination with other functional teams
- Prepares bidding documents
- Works with project management and coordination staff to monitor construction, certify completion, and close out electrical design projects as assigned
- Involves in internal studies, reviews, and case studies of street lighting infrastructure and design and construction details/standards
- Involves in special studies, designs, and construction projects involving consultants and external stakeholders
- Works with asset management team implement the asset replacement plan
- Assists in Developing design standards (under the direct supervision of EoR) according to industry best practices
- Works cooperatively with internal and external design teams to design electrical infrastructure within City right-of-way, and develop details/specifications for electrical infrastructure
- Assists in compiling and analyzing data, developing and monitoring metric and benchmarking programs, and making related recommendations, including departmental metrics and project and program related results
- Writes detailed and concise technical reports, feasibility studies, proposals, including written responses and instructions as required during all project phases
- Other duties as assigned/required
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum two years’ engineering related experience in electrical design and operations or related field.
- Registration or eligibility for registration as an EIT in British Columbia.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge in electrical design, design principles, processes & best practices
- Familiarity with CSA CEC, Z462, IES RP-8 and regulations
- Previous experience performing technical calculations and software use for lighting analyses (AGI32), load calculations, arc flash, fault & coordination studies, power system design (ETAP) is preferred
- Ability to deal with internal and external customers in a positive, courteous and respectful manner
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Experience in dealing with multiple tasks, and setting and meeting competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and outside organizations, and work collaboratively within a team environment with little supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, AutoCAD and PowerPoint.
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record is a requirement of this position.
How to Apply
Application Close Date: July 17, 2019
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our internal careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Please apply directly via: https://jobs.vancouver.ca/job/Vancouver-Engineer-In-Training-Electrical-Brit/569750600/
Deadline for applications