WSP is currently seeking an Engineer, Telecommunications, to join our Rail Systems Engineering team, located at our office in Edmonton, AB. Reporting to the Manager of Rail Systems Engineering – West, this position will be responsible to work on telecommunications planning, design and execution for various rail system projects. As a member of the Rail Systems Engineering team, you will be given opportunities to use your transferable skills to define processes, create execution plans, mentor the junior team members, and be the technical lead for some projects. You will be supported by management to develop work plans and professional skills to become a strong leader in the consulting environment.
- Provide designs in support of communications infrastructure for rail transit and other railway projects;
- Ensure all design elements are compliant with relevant government standards, industry standards and Rail Operation Rules.
- Telecommunications systems will include Fibre Optic and Copper cabling backbones and distribution, CCTV, PA, Passenger Information Displays, Telephone, Radio, DCS, Fare Collection, Traction Power control and monitoring, Fire Alarms, Intrusion Detection and Access Control, SCADA, BMS, WIFi, server rooms, communications rooms, Human Machine Interfaces (HMI), network architecture, data communications for information systems, safety-critical communications systems (Signalling for example), architectural, electrical and mechanical layouts related to telecommunications;
- Under direction of Senior Engineering, perform analysis and design of telecommunications systems, including conceptual design, communications systems architecture, and detailed design;
- Support senior engineers in developing and executing telecommunications design deliverables, including conceptual design, communications systems architecture, and detailed design;
- Produce detailed calculations, drawings, technical specifications, procurement documents, design reports and installation packages, proposal evaluations, technical reports, detailed analyses, and other materials suitable for procurement and construction purposes in rail communications systems;
- Work with clients to discuss technical topics in a clear and professional manner, with guidance from project managers.
- Coordinate with other engineers for systems integration and design. Interface with Designers and Engineers from other disciplines;
- Support communications system technical reviews, designs review submissions and response to RFIs;
- Execute project work, based on an understanding of the project scope, schedule, and budget, under the direction of Project Managers.
- Support development of cost estimates, design program, work scope, resource planning & schedule, reporting and forecasting;
- Provide technical support for procurement, construction, acceptance testing, and commissioning of telecommunications systems;
- Develop and manage construction and professional service contracts with consultants and other service contractors;
- Work within project deadlines, be flexible, and produce high quality work.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in an Engineering or a Science related discipline from an accredited university.
- Graduate Degree in an Engineering or a Science related discipline from an accredited university is an asset
- Membership, or eligible for membership, as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Alberta and/or British Columbia;
- Five (5) years relevant experience in communications systems design or a similar capacity
- Minimum 2 years relevant experience in the transit industry;
- Excellent and proven knowledge and experience in telecommunications engineering, with design abilities in railway or related communications systems;
- Significant experience with transit and rail communications systems;
- Knowledge of passenger railroad / transit operations;
- Familiarity with the CBTC based signalling systems and driverless train control is an asset;
- Experienced in the design and/or integration of train control systems into transit facilities and vehicles;
- Good knowledge and understanding of relevant Standards (CENELEC, AREMA, IEEE, MIL-STD, etc.);
- Critical attention to specification details and project deadlines;
- Ability to adapt well to changes in direction or priorities in a project or program;
- Ability to meet deadlines in a project-oriented environment;
- Ability to work successfully in multi-disciplinary teams and across different business units in a matrix organization with little to no supervision;
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail; and
- Excellent soft skills including communication, interpersonal, presentation, leadership and report writing proficiency with a strong desire and ability to collaborate in problem solving in an integrated team environment.
How to Apply
Please apply to:
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.
Deadline for applications