WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP, we’re proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a Design Team Lead to join our Transportation Engineering Department in Red Deer, AB. Reporting to the Manager of Transportation Engineering, this position will lead a team of designers and other technical staff focused on Alberta Transportation, and Municipal Districts/Counties projects. The successful candidate will also be responsible for leading and developing the design team, assist with pursuing new opportunities and strengthening our market share through collaborating with WSP’s regional client contacts.
- Performing roadway design for projects pertaining to grading and pavement construction/reconstruction, including preparation of design reports in accordance with Alberta Transportation requirements. You will also undertake the design of roads owned by various municipalities and cities across Alberta based on their approved design standards
- Performing comprehensive field evaluation of existing roadways and associated infrastructure, in accordance with the Alberta Transportation 3R/4R Guidelines, and provide cost-effective rehabilitation design recommendations
- Assist junior and intermediate designers with: geometric design and Civil 3D modeling; developing alignment plans; profiles, cross-sections; super-elevation; and grading design and construction staging
- Providing senior review and professional authentication of memos, reports, drawings and other engineering documents
- Providing leadership to a team of technical staff and leading the design of highway and road projects of various sizes and complexity, from conceptual to detailed design and construction support
- Manage proactively the design projects and progress, staffing requirements, schedule and scope
- Establish and maintain good working relationships and communication with WSP project managers and other internal staff at all levels and disciplines.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with industry professionals, subconsultants and other business leaders
- Develop specifications, cost estimates, and prepare permit documents as required during various phases of a design project
- Providing oversight in the preparation of highways and roads project proposals, budgets and fees
- Maintaining highest level of corporate and client’s quality management practices for all projects delivered by the technical team under your guidance
- Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university or a Civil Engineering Technologist diploma;
- Minimum of 10 years of highway/road design experience in Alberta.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng) or Professional Licensee (Engineering) (P.L.(Eng.) in the Province of Alberta
- Comprehensive understanding of Alberta Transportation and TAC Design Standards
- Full and in-depth familiarity with AutoCAD and Civil 3D design software is required. Experience with MicroStation, InRoads would be considered an asset
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic with a strong desire to succeed
- Strategic, conceptual analytical thinking and decision-making skills
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage project deadlines
- Demonstrated willingness to learn and take on new challenges
- Excellent oral and written and presentation skills
- Be flexible and have the ability to work on multiple projects of varied complexity with minimal supervision.
How to Apply
Please apply via the following link:
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.