Salary and benefits
$41.01 - $49.85/hour
City of Grande Prairie
The Engineering Services Department is offering an excellent career opportunity to apply your engineering expertise in municipal infrastructure relating to development. The Development Engineer / Technologist will be working with developers, consultants, external agencies and internal agencies in undertaking the review, approval and inspection of both the designs and implementation of new municipal infrastructure, ensuring consistency with City plans, standards and best practices.
- Ensuring new development of municipal infrastructure conforms to Area Structure Plans, Master Plans, Functional Studies, Design Reports, Transportation Impact Assessments, Outline Plans, City standard guidelines; including coordinating with other City departments and outside agencies
- Acting as a liaison between the City and our Partners in the Development Community.
- Undertake and coordinate the review and approval of engineering designs and reports for new development
- Reviewing and approving location and alignment of new shallow utility infrastructure
- Responding to customers’ service requests relating to various development projects and servicing issues
- Provide technical expertise and support to internal and external customers
- Assisting in the preparation and updating of the department Design and Construction standard guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and eligible for registration with APEGGA
- Or additional years of experience and a related technical diploma and eligible for registration with ASET.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of seven years progressively responsible directly related Municipal Development Engineering experience
- Knowledge of municipal infrastructure design, construction and inspection, including urban transportation networks
- Knowledge of municipal legislation, contract law and the ability to prepare, negotiate and administer agreements
- Confidence, self-motivation and the ability to work with a minimum of direct supervision under firm deadlines while handling multiple projects/processes.
- Ability to balance the needs of varying stakeholders for successful resolution.
- Sharp analytical and problem solving skills and a demonstrated ability to use creativity to develop alternative and innovative solutions to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with internal contacts, developers and the public in a manner that is tactful and discrete
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s licence and access to a reliable vehicle for travel within the City
- Proficiency using computers in a Windows operating environment for using various City programs as well as use of Microsoft Office programs is needed.
- Knowledge and use of AutoCAD, XPswimm, and Synchro would be an asset.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit resume along with proof of qualifications in confidence by using the following link to the City of Grande Prairie’s job posting website http://jobs.cityofgp.com/js/. For further information, please see our website www.cityofgp.com. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; only those short listed for interview will be contacted after the closing date.
Deadline for applications